Veneers are widely used for cosmetic dental purposes. They are simple yet effective restorative solutions to cosmetic dental issues such as chipped, cracked, discolored, misshapen, or excessively spaced teeth. They are made from ceramic, which is how their appearance can be customized to perfectly mimic that of the natural teeth.
Advantages of veneers
- Veneers are thin pieces of porcelain. They don't add a lot of volume to the natural tooth structure when bonded.
- They help to strengthen the tooth structure by holding it intact in the case of cracked teeth.
- They bring about a positive aesthetic change in the appearance of the tooth. In the case of excessive discoloration, bonding a veneer to the tooth structure improves its color and texture.
- Teeth that are out of shape, either naturally misshapen or chipped due to external trauma, can be restored to their ideal shape using veneers.
- A lot of natural tooth enamel need not be removed during the tooth preparation phase prior to bonding the veneer.
- Veneers are made from highly durable tooth-colored ceramic. They hardly wear and last for a long time.
When you visit us for the initial consultation, we will conduct a thorough screening process. During this, several factors that affect the veneer bonding procedure will be taken into account. Some of them are the presence of cavities, gum disease, the strength of the tooth, cracks and chipping of the teeth, etc. Based on the observations, the candidacy for veneers will be determined.
A thin layer of enamel will be removed from the tooth by buffing it gently. After this, a digital mold of the tooth will be taken using a hand-held scanning device. This data will be sent to a dental laboratory for fabricating the veneer. It may take a few days for the veneer to be ready. In the case of same-day restorations using CEREC, the veneer would be fabricated and ready for bonding on the same day. We use photosensitive dental adhesives to bond the veneer to the tooth surface. A curing light will be used to harden it, post which it may be polished to enhance the appearance.
Learn more about veneers by requesting an appointment with our Dentist in Concord CA. Call our office or request an appointment online.