Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner that has gained a lot of popularity over a short span of time. It is made from transparent plastic material and stays under disguise when the patient puts it on. Unlike traditional metal braces, which were the go-to solution to treat malocclusion, Invisalign is hardly visible and keeps you from going through a lot of embarrassment during orthodontic treatment.
Why is Invisalign highly sought-after?
- Invisalign is one of the very few removable orthodontic aligners. You can take it off and put it on whenever you have to eat food, brush teeth or during important occasions. This liberty isn’t available in the case of dental braces.
- The aligner is completely metal-free and doesn’t house any metal parts such as brackets or wires that could injure your soft oral tissues.
- The technology backing Invisalign is highly advanced. It allows the dentist to carefully analyze the severity of the malocclusion. Also, the dentist can show you how the treatment will progress in terms of teeth alignment.
- While undergoing treatment with Invisalign, you can still eat all your favorite foods and not compromise on your diet. But, in the case of treatment with braces, the dentist will keep a few eatables off your diet such as sticky and hard foods.
- The aligners are biocompatible. They wouldn’t harm your teeth and gums or cause any infection.
How is the treatment carried out?
The dentist will visually screen the mouth during the initial visit. Scans and x-rays will be taken to determine the alignment of the teeth. This data will be used in the fabrication of the aligners. Several sets of aligners will be fabricated for each stage of treatment depending on the severity of the malocclusion. The dentist will give you a different set of aligners during the start of each stage of treatment.
The aligners look quite similar to mouthguards. They will have to be worn for a minimum of 22 hours every day, which means they will have to be on even during sleep. A different set of aligners will be given once every two weeks. Every time you start using a new aligner, you may find it a little odd against the teeth. But, this feeling will wear off after a while. Whenever you have to eat food, have a drink or brush your teeth, you can do so after taking them off. Before putting them back on, you will have to make sure no food particles are stuck in between the teeth as this could negatively affect the procedure.
Learn more about Invisalign by requesting an appointment with our Dentist in Concord CA. Call our office or request an appointment online.